Sewing 🐝 #4
This piece is a conversation starter. The bee on this cap is the Bombus Affinis or commonly known as the Rusty Patch bumble bee. This bee was listed on the endangered species list in 2017. It is the first U.S. bee to be listed.
Nine things that can help #savethebees
1. Plant a pollinator garden
2. Pull weeds or better yet go native, as many weeds and wild flowers are food for bees.
3. Do not use herbicides to kill weeds. Bees live in the ground and neonicotinoids kill microflora in bee guts, making them less tolerant to bee disease.
4. Find natural ways to combat mosquitos. Many urban beekeepers tell me their hives suffer when city mosquito trucks spray and when their neighbors install mosquito misting systems.
5. Become an urban beekeeper.
6. Buy local honey that is not mixed with corn syrup.
7. Provide a water source.
8. Buy local organic food.
9. Spread the word.